Sr. ITS Engineer - Intelligent Transportation Systems - St. Louis, MO
- - St. Louis, MO
- Full Time
Founded in 1953, Ross & Baruzzini has been consistently ranked as one of the premier consulting engineering companies in the world, most recently ranked among the Top 500 design and construction firms in Engineering News-Record and in Building Design & Construction's Top 40 engineering companies in the United States. Global organizations have retained Ross & Baruzzini, along with divisions Macro, DVS, Mitchell Planning, and CAGE to meet the challenges facing critical industries including Government and Public Infrastructure, Healthcare, Higher Education + Research, Transit and Rail Transportation, Highways, Bridges and Tunnels, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Airports, Public Safety Agencies and Mission Critical facilities. Ross & Baruzzini employs a comprehensive staff of 300+ engineers, architects, consultants, IT/communications specialists, security consultants, medical equipment planners, intelligent transportation engineers, construction administrators and support personnel.
We offer a competitive pay and benefits package and have been voted a Best Place to Work for 2016 and 2017 by our people.
Title: Sr. Intelligent Transportation Systems Engineer
Reports to: Market Leader or designated Principal Consultant
Market: ITS Market
FLSA: Exempt Position
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
The Sr. Intelligent Transportation Systems Engineer is responsible for planning and development, and design of intelligent transportation systems and related smart city systems (including assessment reports, master plans, concept of operations, functional/system requirements, engineering calculations, system specifications, design drawings, construction detail exhibits, cost estimates, and commissioning/testing plans) in a timely and cost effective manner that meet client, contractual, and company requirements. Performing business development tasks.
Daily responsibilities will include the following:
• Specific responsibilities will be on a project to project basis, but duties will include performing fieldwork to document existing conditions; prepare and give presentations to clients and stakeholders, preparation of existing conditions reports and drawings; performing design tasks and calculations; preparing design drawings, system specifications and construction cost estimates; coordination with other disciplines; and providing assistance during construction administration.
• Perform design work related to ITS/Smart Cities and associated Information and communications technology infrastructure by following standard engineering practices and procedures within established guidelines.
• Be responsible for assigning and checking assignments for engineering designers and/or technicians, depending upon specific project needs.
• Be generally available for project related travel, either domestically or internationally.
• Establish good rapport and build relationships with peers and clients by responding to requests and communicating information in a timely manner.
• Remain up to date on current professional practices and maintain a high awareness of new products and procedures in industry by monitoring trade publications and actively participating in professional associations. Attending conferences is required. Public speaking at professional events is encouraged. Staying current with the technology is required.
• Ability to work in a design/build and P3 environments with rapidly changing design requirements, tight schedules, and fixed budgets.
• Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment by supervising and/or coordinating with other engineering disciplines with limited knowledge of these disciplines.
• Ability to manage the scope of work and limit scope creep, ability to produce high quality documents and designs, ability to stay on schedule, ability to stay on budget and be profitable, and ability to maintain good client relations. Understanding client contract requirements for indemnification, insurance, third party reliance, severability, force majeure, waiver of subrogation, payment schedules, termination clauses, and other typical requirements is a plus.
• Ability to develop and carry out project management Quality Control strategies, such as, design preparation, design detail checks, independent technical reviews and value engineering, constructability reviews, and preparing biddable basis of payment specifications.
• Ability to work with senior staff on business development including attending client meetings and developing target project pursuit strategies. Ability to produce competitive technical cost proposals. Seller/Doer attitude is a plus.
• Perform other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Detailed knowledge of systems and technologies used for Intelligent Transportation Systems/ Smart Cities, such as point and probe detection, weigh in motion, dynamic messaging, lane control, CCTV, variable speed limits, and red light/speed cameras.
• General knowledge of SCADA and Security systems.
• Detailed knowledge of traffic operations.
• General knowledge of infrastructure design including pathways, media and distribution facilities such as fiber optic systems and copper distribution infrastructure, and telecommunication room fit-out.
• General knowledge of building electrical and mechanical systems including calculation of loads, determination of Uninterruptible Power Supplies sizing and run times, and heat loading associated with field equipment.
• General knowledge of the principles, methods and procedures for the development of schematic, detailed design and construction documents.
• General knowledge of the consulting engineering profession, including building client relationships and business development.
• Professional Engineer (PE) License in any US state. Ability to obtain PE licensure in FL, MO, and IN. NCEES record preferred.
Strongly preferred registrations/certifications:
• Professional Traffic Operations Engineer
Additional registrations/certifications taken into consideration:
• • Project Management Professional (PMP)
• Security or related Technology Manufacturer Certifications
• Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree in Civil Engineering from ABET accredited university with an emphasis on Traffic Operations or Transportation Engineering.
Additional education taken into consideration:
• Practical industry experience from relevant manufacturers or system integrators
• Continuing Education (CE) or Professional Development Hours (PDH) in field(s) of expertise
Professional Experience Requirements:
Minimum ten (10) years, preferred fifteen (15), of direct Design, project management, and business development experience in one or more of the following preferred fields:
• Project Management
Additional direct Design experience in one or more of the following fields taken into consideration:
• Government or Institutional
• Commercial or Industrial
Additional overall experience taken into consideration:
• Construction Management/Administration
• Master Planning
• Smart City Planning and Engineering
• SCADA, Security, Telecommunications Design.
Software Proficiency Requirements:
Required proficiency in all of the following:
• MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) 2016
• MS Project or Primavera scheduling software
• AutoCAD (2012+) or Revit MEP (2012+); proficiency in both preferred
• Adobe Acrobat (Version 10.0+)
Preferred proficiency in some or all of the following:
• Visio 2010/2013+
• AutoCAD Civil 3D, Revit Architectural Modeling (2012+) or • MicroStation (V8.9+)
• Project Collaboration/Database applications (dRofus, ProjectWise, other)
• Job responsibilities require mastery of the English language and technical/contractual terminology to support preparation of documents.
• Proficiency in additional languages (in particular Spanish, French, Arabic, and/or Mandarin) considered a bonus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
• This is a full-time, salaried position.
• Normal days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Weekly, international project tele/videoconferences may fall outside normal working hours.
• Normal work hours may be shifted within reason to accommodate personal schedules with approval from the Market Leader.
• This position may work in one of R&B's offices or work at home. Working at home requires;
o Dedicated home office used for online meetings with international clients
o Video conference capability (internet speeds of 1Mb up/10Mb down)
• Due to the professional nature of the position, it is expected that the employee will monitor work-related correspondence (i.e. email) and answer work-related calls during weekday evening hours and during weekends to accommodate project emergencies as well as clients and project team members operating in different regions of the world.
• This position requires the candidate to be a US citizen, a Canadian Citizen, or US Green Card holder (permanent resident).
• This position requires both domestic and international travel. The candidate must have a valid passport or be able to obtain a passport within six (6) months of hiring.
• This position requires the candidate to be able to pass a Criminal History Record Check (CHRC) with no disqualifying offenses or felonies and to be able to pass a DHS TSA Security Threat Assessment (STA).
• This position may require security background checks by the US government or other nationalities in order to perform specific project assignments.
• This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, printers, phones, and photocopiers.
• From time to time, visits to job sites will be required where OSHA standards regarding Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be followed.
• This job requires the ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
This description reflects the core activities of the position but is not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties within the group/department may be required in addition to changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time. There is a requirement for the position holder to recognize this and adopt a flexible approach to work.
R&B is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media