Architectural Project Designer - Government Market
- - St. Louis, MO
- Full Time
Ross & Baruzzini provides consulting and design expertise for diverse industries including government, transportation, healthcare, higher education, utilities and mission-critical facilities. Our market groups are populated by talented engineers, design technicians, commissioning agents, and construction management professionals. We serve a range of agency and institutional clients that own and operate their own facilities and require long-term, high-performance solutions that are cost effective, energy efficient, and easy to maintain. Our engineers design and plan the systems that enable buildings to perform, including mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, audio-visual, security, telecommunications, IT, and more. By ensuring that these systems are fully integrated with each other and with the building structure, we help people, equipment, and processes operate with maximum efficiency and value.
Title: Architectural Project Designer
Location: St. Louis, MO
Reports to: Director of Architecture/Architectural Project Manager
- The Architectural Designer position is responsible for preparation, modification, and development of computer drafted drawings for construction and building modifications.
- Researches, plans, and handles Architectural conceptual design and communications of such design to clientele.
- Provides architectural design and construction administration services from initial project inception through completion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Researches and analyzes data such as customer design proposal, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Administers building projects for clients, applying knowledge of design, construction procedures, building codes and materials.
- Consults with client to determine functional and spatial requirements for new structure or renovation, and summarize information regarding design, specifications, color, equipment, furnishings, estimated costs and construction time.
- Develops building and site designs including the evaluation of alternative building materials, building systems and equipment together with other considerations based on program, budget and aesthetics.
- Presents and explains design of the project to client and other team representatives.
- Coordinates all components that will comprise the building project including site, interiors, structural and MEPFP disciplines and integrates these elements into a unified design
- Produces and coordinates drawings, specifications, reports, cost estimates and other documents during the design process in accordance with established quality standards.
- Maintain current quality control procedures commensurate with the company standards and policies.
- Coordinates and prepares submittals at appropriate intervals during the design process for submission and review with the client. Typical submittals include:
- Programming Documents
- Schematic Design Documents
- Design Development Documents
- Construction Documents
- Assists the client in filing documents for government approvals and permits.
- Assists the client in obtaining competitive bids or negotiated proposals.
- Takes and active role during construction administration to represent, advise and consult with the client. Duties may include:
- Review and respond to Contractors requests for information
- Prepare and issue clarifications to the construction documents as appropriate
- Visit the site at intervals appropriate to work progress (and document observations)
- Review and process contractor payment applications
- Prepare appropriate documents for changes in the work as applicable
- Evaluates field installations and recommends design modifications.
- Assists the Owner in the organized close-out of the project including final site observation and development of punch list; certificate of completion; coordination and preparation of record drawings and other closeout documents.
- Maintains and organized project file documenting the entire design and construction process.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to display exceptional production, computer, organizational, communications and technical skills, and have a thorough understanding of the entire design and construction process.
The incumbent should demonstrate the following skills and knowledge:
- Reading and interpreting blueprints
- Ability to interpret and analyze contract documents, specifications, building codes, OSHA regulations, and A/E documents
- Working knowledge of construction specifications, building and electrical codes, and safety regulations
- Ability to understand and represent building systems and infrastructure components, wiring and network diagrams on electronic drawings
- Ability to follow written policy and verbal direction
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to communicate well both orally and in written form
- Knowledge of scheduling methods
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Knowledge of CAD systems (such as AutoCAD).
Proficiency is required of the position to meet production expectations for the assigned work.
This proficiency includes but is not limited to the following:
i. implementing Practical standards
ii. corporate standards
iii. working knowledge of the standard of care for the Discipline the technician is assigned to.
- Follow the allotted hours for the project assigned tasks as defined by the Project Manager at the kickoff of the project and delegated by the Project Architect/Engineer. This requires active involvement with the Project Manager and Project Architect/Engineer.
- Develop checklists to ensure turnover of submittals, O&M manuals, as-built drawings, and all files related to a project
- Develop and maintain up to date documents.
- Reading and interpreting blueprints.
- Ability to interpret and analyze contract documents, specifications, building codes, OSHA regulations, and A/E documents.
- Working knowledge of construction, specifications, building and electrical codes, and safety regulations.
- Ability to understand and represent building systems and infrastructure components, wiring and network diagrams on documents.
- Ability to follow written policy and verbal direction.
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of scheduling methods.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- The incumbent should have at least a Technical Collage 2-year Architectural degree from an accredited institution.
- 5 or more years of construction-based experience on like kind commercial based projects.
Required Software Proficiencies:
Working knowledge of electronic software systems (such as Revit, AutoCAD, Navisworks, Bluebeam) as required for assigned projects. With the rapid nature of evolving production methods, the position may be required to learn new software to perform the basic job duties.
Position Success Factors:
Travel may be required to prepare, field verify and conduct field measurements, and liaise with internal staff and clients.
Construction includes new construction, remodel and renovation, alteration, equipment installation, and repair.
Additionally, the position will involve development of design standards for drawings, drawing templates, and corporate standards for information and format of documents
Responsible for development and production of all in-house drawings, coordinating with in or out of house AE firms and outside vendors regarding computer generated drawings, updates, management of any consultant production work or studies, development of automated electronic standards, templates, information standards, development and management of a corporate-electronic standards library for building components, facilities, networks, infrastructure, acting as a strategic planner related to automated drafting production requirements with other Designers, Architects, and Engineers in each Discipline.
- Per project assignment the demonstration to utilize assigned software and operating systems for the project.
- Research and preparation of project related construction design, equipment installation, and support efforts of produced documents.
- A/E-Contractor coordination for project issues and review of electronic submissions.
- Development and management of an electronic drawing library and storage systems for corporate-wide drawings, preparation of cost estimates related to electronic work.
- Performing the BIM Implementation Plan for the project will include clash detection and conflict resolution based on the complexity of the project.
- Ensure requests for information and clarifications are reflected in documents and produce as-built or record drawings. Review and approval of as-built drawings and update of documents to reflect red-line as-built drawings provided by others.
- Strategizing means and manner to use documents for inspection and acceptance of construction submissions, streamlining customer electronic information implementation efforts, and electronic facility planning.
- Working closely with A/E firms and Contractors to resolve construction and design issues and implement customer requested changes.
This description reflects the core activities of the position but is not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties within the group/department may be required in addition to changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time. There is a requirement for the position holder to recognize this and adopt a flexible approach to work.
R&B is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.